Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Final Project

Where’s my glove?

“I’ve lost my glove. My absolute favorite one. The red biker glove. Where is it? What have I been doing today? I went and had a cup of coffee at Café Bristol. I did my grocery shopping for the week. Oh, and I have been on the subway. I know I have taken my gloves off. Where could I have dropped it? I just can’t seem to remember in which order I have been to all these places. “

The episodic memory is part of the long term memory and this is where we store memories of events and episodes. When recollecting memories of episodic sort they flash before our eyes as video clips. As we grow older our memory starts to deteriorate, primarily in the episodic memory. As a result of this, elderly experience difficulty in placing memories in chronological order. Sometimes certain parts of a memory get lost, for instance a person’s face might get blurry. Other times the different parts of a memory cannot be seen as a whole, they are shattered into separate images.

The installation represents this reduced capacity of the episodic memory and it visualises how we recall a course of events and try to make sense out of them.

Enjoy.




No comments: